14 Items to Carry on Trail Rides – Stay out of trouble with these essentials
When you’re on the trail it’s a good idea to carry a few emergency items. This list will give you ideas for what you may want to carry. The object of carrying these items is to ensure that both horse and rider have a great ride and make it back to the trailhead to ride another day.
The combined weight of everything in this list is under 4 pounds.The Essentials to carry When Trail Riding
What to pack:
- Map of the Area – It helps to know how to read it
- Compass – Again, it helps to know how to use it
- Rain Gear – These items usually get tied behind the cantle and include a set of rain chaps and a Wyoming Traders Rain Slicker.
- First Aid Items – bandage, antibiotic ointment, aspirin
- Cell Phone (for emergencies) – Make sure you’ve ICED it! Keep your phone in a shirt or jacket pocket so it stays ON YOU in case you become separated from your horse.
- Water Bottle(s)
- Hoof pick
- Baling Twine – Almost as good as duck tape
- Garbage Bag
- Spare batteries
If you have pommel bags use them so the weight is over the withers instead of the horse’s kidneys.
You may also need to carry other items depending upon the length of time and the distance you plan on riding.